Packing Area Rugs for Moving
Packing area rugs seems simple enough, doesn’t it? Just roll it up and wrap some tape around it and you’re done, right? Well, not exactly. If you have area rugs in your home that you plan on preserving, wrapping them properly will assure that they arrive in your home undamaged and ready for placement. Follow these steps below:
- source site Step 1 — gather your materials: You’ll need large pieces of durable paper (such as brown craft paper), two pieces of rope or twine and packing tape.
- go to link Step 2 — clean the rug thoroughly: Vacuum your rug to remove dust, dirt and other contaminants that could attract pests or end up being ground further into your rug. If your rug is really dirty, consider renting a rug shampooer to give it a thorough cleaning.
- http://oceanadesigns.net/envira/kitchens/ Step 3 — Find the direction of the fibers: Your rug’s fibers have a specific direction to them, and in order to properly roll the rug, you’ll need to figure it out. Rub your palm over the surface of the rug and determine in which direction the rug feels smoothest — that’s your rug’s fiber direction.
- Step 4 — turn the rug upside down: You are going to want to roll your rug with the fibers down. This will help protect the rug’s fragile backing.
- Step 5 — roll: Start rolling your rug against the direction of the fibers. The key here is to roll slowly and create a tight cylinder, as this will protect the rug and make it easier for transport.
- Step 6 — tie it up: Use your twine or rope to secure each end of the rug. Make sure your tight rolling job is maintained by having a helper keep the roll tight as you tie. Avoid packing tape, as it can cause damage — especially in a warm environment.
- Step 7 — wrap: Wrap your area rug with craft paper, tape it up and you’re ready to go! Avoid using plastic wrap as it will not allow the rug to breathe and may trap moisture that could cause mold or mildew.
Do you have any packing suggestions you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line in the form below, we’d love to hear from you.
Share a Tip with Us
Verity Van Lines is one of Long Island’s oldest and most trusted moving company. For over 100 years, we’ve been providing world class customer care for both local and long distance moves. Call us today at: 516-785-7620. We look forward to serving you. We are proudly rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.