Preparing Your items for a Self Storage Unit
A self storage unit is a useful option for both short and long term storage, and with thousands of facilities all across the nation, you should be able to find a self storage unit that is both convenient and cost effective.
Before you start haphazardly tossing items into your new self storage unit, here are five tips that will help make your packing easier and more effective:
- Understand storage restrictions: Be sure to thoroughly understand what you can and cannot store inside your unit. The facility you’ve chosen should provide you with a list of restricted items and if they don’t supply you with one, make sure to ask. Some items that are forbidden could be things such as gasoline, chemicals and perishable food.
- Decide which items to put in storage: You only have a certain amount of space, and you want to make sure everything is accessible, so make smart decisions regarding which items you want to store and which you may want to donate.
- Use clear plastic bins: Using clear plastic bins to store items has two distinct advantages — they make it easy for you to see the contents within, and they also protect items from dirt and moisture.
- Label Everything: Whether you are using clear plastic bins or cardboard boxes, it is critical that you label the contents within each container. This will help you quickly identify items you need when searching through your unit.
- Store strategically: When placing items in storage, be smart about where you decide to put them within your unit. When packing, place the heaviest items on the bottom and lightest items on top. Place the least used items in the back of the unit and keep items you may need to access closer to the front. And when you’re looking to save space, try storing items in a vertical position.
While self storage can be an excellent option for some, you may also want to consider a full service storage option provided by a reputable professional mover. Choosing this option can provide you with many benefits such as more efficient storage packing and less back breaking labor. In many cases it can be just as cost effective as self storage, without the hassle of doing it all yourself.