First Move Do’s and Don’ts (Part 1)
If you’ve never moved before, there’s a good chance you’re not fully prepared for how big a project a move can be. And it doesn’t matter whether you are moving across town or the country — trust us — moving is a big deal.
In this first installment, we’ll cover five essential moving “Do’s.” Next week, we’ll show you our top 5 moving “Don’ts’.
Five Important First Move “Do’s”:
- Get started now: The moment you know you are going to be moving, set the wheels in motion. A great place to start is by researching and finding a reputable mover who will help you get the job done. The sooner you do this, the better the chances that the mover can work with your preferred timeline.
- Make a checklist: A moving checklist of all the tasks that need to be accomplished before moving day is critical to reducing stress and increasing efficiency. For great ideas, read here.
- Demand an in-home estimate: Without an in home estimate the mover really will not be able to assess what is necessary to make sure you have an easy transition to your new home. This is even more important than the price of the move. When we meet with a potential client we are always trying to understand their circumstances. There is often times something disclosed to us that helps us determine the best course of action. This is lost in estimates without a meeting in someone’s home.
- Get rid of things: Moving is a great time to do a complete inventory of your home, dorm, or apartment and get rid of anything you don’t need or want. It will not only reduce the cost of moving; it will make move-in day much more manageable. For great ideas on how to get rid of belongings read here. (link to blog post).
- Be realistic: No move is 100% stress-free, and the sooner you understand this, the better off you’ll be. Just remember, if you have a strong moving plan, an organized checklist and a reputable mover by your side, you will have less stress than if you didn’t prepare.
Do you have any moving “Do’s” you’d like to share? We’d love to hear them. Drop us a line in the form below.
Share a Tip with Us
Verity Van Lines is one of Long Island’s oldest and most trusted moving company. For over 100 years, we’ve been providing world class customer care for both local and long distance moves. Call us today at: 516-785-7620. We look forward to serving you. We are proudly rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.