About the Author
Michael Maffucci is a third generation mover and President of Verity Van Lines, Long Island’s leading moving company. Learn more about him here.
Five Moving Mistakes to Avoid
Moving to a new home is filled with many opportunities to make costly mistakes. As professional movers, we’re committed to helping customers avoid these mistakes and make their move as easy as possible. With that in mind, here are five moving mistakes to aviod.
Avoid these Five Moving Mistakes
- Using a moving broker: When searching for potential movers on the web, ensure the ones you are researching are licensed movers and not a broker service. A moving broker is simply a salesperson who sells leads to moving companies. Using a broker may result in aggressive phone calls from moving companies across the country and a 50% deposit before they even choose a mover. To learn more, visit here.
- Moving out of your house before closing: This is a common mistake and could lead to significant stress and expense. For example, if something goes wrong during the closing, your shipment will be in transit to your new home which most likely won’t be ready. This creates a situation that can lead to costly logistical problems. Ideally, you want to move out a few days after you close, increasing flexibility and significantly reducing moving stress.
- Not being fully packed: If you are not entirely packed before moving day, you will create a frustrating and confusing situation for both you and your mover. This will result in a disorganized move, which can be very stressful. If you think you cannot get packed in time, consider using a mover that offers a packing service.
- Don’t serve alcohol to crews: We understand that many homeowners are grateful for the hard work a mover is performing — especially during hot summer months — but offering cold beer or other alcoholic beverages as a “thank you” creates a dangerous situation.
- Using improper packing boxes: Using lightweight shipping boxes from online retailers or the grocery store can lead to broken possessions. This is because these boxes do not have the strength to hold heavy items. Further, using supermarket boxes can lead to insect infestation.
A licensed mover with a good reputation will go to great lengths to help you avoid mistakes that can make your move more stressful and expensive. Always make sure you find the best mover for your needs.
Read the Latest from Our Blog
About the Author Michael Maffucci is a third generation mover and President of Verity Van Lines, Long Island's leading moving company. Learn more about him here.5 Tips for Moving Out of Queens If you are planning to move out of Queens, New York, to somewhere else in...
About the Author Michael Maffucci is a third generation mover and President of Verity Van Lines, Long Island's leading moving company. Learn more about him here.Five Critically Important Things to Do Before Moving Out of State Moving out of state can be an exciting...