Top 5 things people forget when moving.It’s a simple fact of life that we cannot remember everything. Even the most ardent list-maker will forget one or two essential items now and then. And when we’re under stress, our forgetfulness tends to get worse. Moving is one of the most stressful things you can do in your life — and in order to help you keep organized, we’ve listed the top 5 things people forget to do when moving in hopes that you’ll remember to cover these essential tasks:
- Forgetting an in-home estimate: As a consumer you have many options when it comes to choosing a moving company, and choices range between small, family owned moving companies, and large franchises. Whomever you choose, make sure to get an in-home estimate from a reputable mover that has strong reviews and a solid reputation. Never choose a mover based on a telephone or Internet estimate form. Read more on getting proper estimates here.
- Pack an essentials box: One of the things people forget to pack is a box filled with important items that they may need during, or immediately after a move. Items in an essentials box can include: toiletries, prescription medications, basic tools (screwdriver, hammer, etc.), flashlights and important paperwork and valuables. Do not leave this box with other boxes to be moved, and clearly mark the box “essentials — do not move”.
- Redirect your mail: Because it usually involves going to the post office and filling out a form, people tend to forget to submit a change of address/re-direct form because they are immersed in trying to get their home packed up and ready for moving day. In order to keep things running smoothly when you move in, it is essential that you take the time to fill out the proper forms with the post office.
- Label your boxes: We’ve seen many moves where homeowners forgot to clearly mark boxes with their contents. Not only does this cause confusion for the mover, it will also make your move an incredibly disorganized affair. Label everything clearly and make sure to mark items that can be easily damaged as fragile.
- Take breaks: We understand that the temptation to simply get it all done as fast as possible seems like the best route to go when preparing for a move, but trust us on this one, if you forget to take breaks, you could be in for trouble. Taking some time to reset yourself, reflect and just turn off for a little while will pay big dividends when trying to keep things organized and moving forward.
Verity Van Lines is the premier Long Island moving company with over 100 years of experience in both local and long distance moves. We also offer a full range of storage options and packing supplies.