Moving Stress? Take a Vacation with Guided Imagery.
We’ve mentioned moving stress numerous times in this blog (you can read here and here). In this article, we’re going to discuss something that may sound a bit strange at first. However, if properly executed, it can genuinely help you get to a better place. When you feel the weight of your move coming down on you, and you can’t handle the pressure anymore, try taking a “vacation” by using guided imagery.
Guided imagery is an easy to perform relaxation technique that can help you manage stress and reduce tension. Imagine a short daydream that transports your mind and body away from the weight of the day.
How to practice guided imagery
- Get comfortable: Get yourself in a comfortable position. Perhaps kick back in your favorite comfy chair, or even lay down on your bed. The goal here is to get your body as comfortable and relaxed as possible.
- Breathe and focus: take deep breaths and exhale slowly. The goal here is to get yourself focused on achieving a comfortable breathing rhythm.
- Choose your destination: Go wherever you want; if you feel like you need to spend time on the beach, go for it! If standing at the top of a mountain is your thing, go there! The only limit you have is your imagination.
- Soak up the details: If you imagine yourself at the beach, try to recall the feeling of sand between your toes and the sound of the gentle crashing of waves. It’s essential to focus on one detail at a time until you achieve the full picture and find yourself truly immersed in your vacation.
- Return slowly: Don’t finish your journey by opening your eyes and simply saying it’s over. Leave your vacation in a relaxed manner, perhaps count to 20, and when you reach “one,” you will return.
At first, this may seem challenging. But with the guidelines above and some practice, you’ll be able to take a short vacation and return fully recharged and ready to tackle your move.
What are some ways you deal with moving stress? We’d love to hear your thoughts. Please write them down in the form below.
Share a Tip with Us
Verity Van Lines is one of Long Island’s oldest and most trusted moving company. For over 100 years, we’ve been providing world class customer care for both local and long distance moves. Call us today at: 516-785-7620. We look forward to serving you. We are proudly rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.