Last Minute Moving Advice
While most families like to plan their move to a new home in advance, there are times in life when that is not possible. Family emergencies, business opportunities and other reasons may force you to have to move in a short period of time. Below is some helpful last-minute moving advice that will surely make your move a little bit easier.
- Find a mover ASAP: Because moving is all about scheduling, finding a reliable qualified mover may be one of your biggest challenges. Getting started as early as possible is going to be the best way to increase your chances of finding a suitable company to handle your move. Make sure to do your research by speaking to friends and families who have used a mover you may be considering, and thoroughly research a mover before you make any decisions.
- Lighten your load: It’s simple — the less you have to pack, the better off you’ll be. Go through every room thoroughly and get rid of what you don’t need; consider donating old clothes, furniture and other items. Think in terms of practicality, not sentimentality. Additionally, many non-profits offer pick-up services which can save you quite a bit of time and stress.
- Let the mover help: If you cannot get everything packed up in time, don’t be afraid to ask your movers for help. It may cost a little bit in labor and packing materials, but the savings in last minute stress will be well worth the small investment.
- Gather essentials: Before the whirlwind of packing and moving begins, make sure to set aside a bag for essential items that you cannot afford to have packed away for any period of time — prescriptions, toiletries, phone chargers, etc. are all things you don’t want to be frantically searching for when you arrive in your new home.
- Consider a packing service: Even in a compressed timeframe, the moving company you choose may be able to provide you with packing services. This can free you to handle other pressing logistical tasks.
Care you share a tip? We’d love to hear from you. Send us your last minute moving ideas in the form below.
Share a Tip with Us
Verity Van Lines is one of Long Island’s oldest and most trusted moving company. For over 100 years, we’ve been providing world class customer care for both local and long distance moves. Call us today at: 516-785-7620. We look forward to serving you. We are proudly rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.