Practicing Good Moving EtiquetteMoving etiquette. It’s not something that homeowners think about when they are involved in the hustle and bustle of their move, but it is an important part of being a good neighbor to those in your old and new neighborhood. Below you’ll find a few tips on how to practice good moving etiquette:
- Mind your manners: Moving etiquette starts with good manners. Remember it not only disrupts your family’s life, it also interferes with the lives of those who live around you. There’s no better way to make friends in your new neighborhood, and keeping friends in your old one than practicing good manners.
- Moving time: Do everything you can to accomplish your move during daytime hours. Try not to move early in the morning or in the early evening during rush hours. Sometimes, depending on scheduling, etc. you’ll have to move during an inconvenient time. If that happens try to let your neighbors know and apologize for any inconveniences that may occur.
- Be aware of your neighborhood: Avoid blocking access points such as the street, your neighbors’ driveways and their sidewalks. If some blocking has to occur, meet with your neighbor and discuss the situation.
- Refreshments: Offer water and snacks to those who are helping you out. Whether they are movers or friends and family, they will appreciate the kind gesture. Don’t feel put off if a professional mover refuses your kind gesture, as he or she may be focused solely on getting the job done in the most efficient manner possible.
- Say thank you: Three words can go a long way, and showing your appreciation for those who are helping you move is the right thing to do. Whether you decide to tip your movers, or give gifts to your friends for a job well done is entirely up to you, but saying “thank you’ is mandatory.
- Keep pets out of the way: If possible, give your pets to friends or neighbors who wouldn’t mind watching them. The last thing anyone needs is one of your pets running around while someone is trying to carry a large couch out of the house.
Want to ask us a question or share a useful tip? Use the form below:[contact-form-7 id=”1314″ title=”Blog Comment Form”]
Verity Van Lines is the premier Long Island moving company with over 100 years of experience in both local and long distance moves. We also offer a full range of storage options and packing supplies.