Moving for Work: 5 Tips for Success
Congratulations! You finally landed your dream job. Now you have to pack up your family and move three states away. At first, the thought of packing up your family and moving to a new location may seem daunting. But, if you follow our sure-fire tips below, you’ll make your move with ease and with a lot less stress!
- First things first, ask your new employer if they offer relocation assistance. You’d be surprised at how many companies are willing to help. Aid can come in the form of financial reimbursement, and in some cases, planning and logistical support.
- Research your new hometown. If you’re on a tight schedule, you may not have time to visit the place you plan on living. If this is the case, you can turn to the internet to help you learn about your future surroundings: research schools, local public facilities such as libraries, hospitals, town halls, etc. There’s a wealth of information at your fingertips, so make sure to take advantage of it.
- Make a plan. Don’t rush headlong into the moving process haphazardly. Make a solid plan that includes a timeline — and stick to it. Having a timeline not only helps you keep organized, but it’s also a great motivator and stress reliever. The more boxes you check off, the more motivated you’ll be to get to the end of the timeline.
- Hire a moving company. It may be tempting to try and save money by moving yourself, but the odds are that you’ll end up disappointed, stressed, and exhausted if you do this. Using a reliable, highly rated moving company will not only make your move infinitely more manageable, but it may also save you money. Here are some great tips on hiring a reliable moving company
- Think positive. Don’t be overwhelmed by the number of things you need to do; embrace the process and focus on the exciting new career opportunity ahead. Take some time to “daydream” with your family and talk about all the exciting new experiences you’ll have in your new hometown.
Share a Tip with Us
Verity Van Lines is one of Long Island’s oldest and most trusted moving company. For over 100 years, we’ve been providing world class customer care for both local and long distance moves. Call us today at: 516-785-7620. We look forward to serving you. We are proudly rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.