About the Author
Michael Maffucci is a third generation mover and President of Verity Van Lines, Long Island’s leading moving company. Learn more about him here.
Five Great Moving Hacks to Make Moving Easier.
Moving is a stressful event that affects both first-time and seasoned homeowners. And while it is never easy, the five moving hacks listed below will help reduce stress and make the process more manageable.
- Set up a “packing station”: Find an area of your home where you have a clean, clutter-free surface to work; floors, folding tables, and workbenches are all excellent solutions. Gather packing supplies such as quality moving boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and magic markers, and have them situated near your designated packing station. This station will become the central hub for all your packing; it’s much easier than dragging supplies around the house and packing items in different rooms.
- Cover toiletry bottles with plastic wrap: Even when sealed, toiletries such as cologne, aftershave, mouthwash, and other liquids can leak when jostled during a move. A smart way to prevent this is to unscrew the bottle, place kitchen plastic wrap over the opening and re-seal the bottle. Bottles that have never been opened tend to have strong seals, so it is not necessary to follow this procedure.
- Use sealable plastic bags for hardware: When you disassemble furniture, place all screws, nuts, and other hardware in sealable plastic bags. Make sure to use a permanent marker and label the plastic bag with its contents. If the bag isn’t heavy, you can tape it to the underside of the item you just disassembled.
- Use your phone’s camera: This is especially useful for electronics. For example, take a picture of the back of your television, so you know how to reconnect audio jacks, HDMI cables, and other essential items. Consider taking photos of the contents of important boxes or even document the disassembly process of your furniture. Your phone’s camera can save you hours of frustration post-move!
- Create a moving essentials bag: Pack a small suitcase or backpack with items you’ll need access to during the move. Things such as medication, charging cables, and important documents are perfect candidates for your essentials bag.
For More Moving Tips, Read These Articles.
About the Author Michael Maffucci is a third generation mover and President of Verity Van Lines, Long Island's leading moving company. Learn more about him here.Interstate vs. Intrastate Moving: Why Knowing the Difference Matters When it comes to moving, there are two...
About the Author Michael Maffucci is a third generation mover and President of Verity Van Lines, Long Island's leading moving company. Learn more about him here.Top Five Things to Do Before the Mover Arrives Moving preparation can take place months in advance of...