5 strategies to cope with moving stressIn a recent poll, almost 61% in a group of 2000 people rated moving stress as the top of their stress list — relationship breakdown, divorce and starting a new job were all tied for second place. That gives you a good indication of how moving can truly disrupt your life. In order to better manage the stress moving creates, here are 5 coping strategies that will make moving just a bit easier.
- Think positive! We’ve all heard the about the power of positive thinking, so do all you can do to think of moving as a POSITIVE experience in your life. It’s a chance to remove all the clutter from your home (read our blog on de-cluttering your home here.) find new friends and open up a new, interesting chapter in your life. Embrace the change and you’ll feel far less stress.
- Research your new hometown. If you are a gardener, find your new town’s greenhouse or nursery, and if you are an avid golfer, find local golf courses and pro shops. In other words, find locations that align with your hobbies and family’s interests. This will help you get excited about moving to a new location.
- Hire a professional mover: Using a well researched, highly credentialed professional mover will take an enormous load off your back. You won’t have to worry about renting vans, lugging furniture up and down stairs and risking potential injury. Best of all, in many cases, using a professional mover is comparable in cost to a DIY move.
- Unpack quickly: One of the reasons moving is stressful is because it is a huge disruption to your day-to-day routine. When you arrive at your new home, unpack quickly and set up a new daily routine as fast as possible.
- Say hello! Introduce yourself to your new neighbors and begin to form new relationships. Also don’t forget to call your friends in your old hometown and tell them you’ve arrived safely. The positive encouragement you will get from both old and new friends will truly be uplifting.
Verity Van Lines is the premier Long Island moving company with over 100 years of experience in both local and long distance moves. We also offer a full range of storage options and packing supplies. We’re a proud member of the Long Island Moving and Storage Association (LIMSA).