Moving Tips for Seniors
Moving is stressful for the average adult, but for seniors it can be very difficult both physically and emotionally. In order to reduce stress and make the process more manageable, here are five key moving tips for seniors:
- Get started early: As soon as you have decided to move — it’s time to start preparing. There will be many things to do and the earlier you start, the better off you’ll be.
- Find the right mover: Seniors need to be very careful when selecting a mover, so evaluate each candidate thoroughly. Make sure to get recommendations from friends and people you trust, and then research these companies. Check their Better Business Bureau Rating, look at Google reviews and make sure to call and speak to someone at each potential company. If you aren’t computer capable, have a friend or loved one help you. Learn more, read here.
- Consider a packing service: Many moving companies offer complete packing services, and this can be a big benefit to seniors who have mobility issues or other physical limitations. Make sure to get a thorough in home estimate before agreeing to any packing services. The savings in stress and physical exertion are well worth the extra cost. Learn more, read here.
- Plan for your new space: If you are downsizing, make sure to plan accordingly. If your moving to a smaller home, you are not going to be able to take all the contents of your current home with you. Make a plan to donate, store or simply get rid of items you will no longer need. This is a great time to start fresh and do a thorough inventory of all your belongings. Learn more, read here (link to downsizing blog post).
- Take a break: If you have a friend of loved one who is willing to give you a break during the moving process, make sure to take some time for yourself. Go out, grab a cup of coffee, catch up with your friends, or simply go for a brisk walk.
If you have any moving tips for seniors or suggestions, we’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment below.