Moving When it’s Hot Outside
Summer’s here, and with increased temperatures, “heat waves” and high humidity, moving when it’s hot can be dangerous if you’re not careful. Below are five tips that will help you beat the summer heat during a summer move.
- Start Early: When dealing with the increased temperatures of summer, it’s always best to start bright and early in the morning when the air quality and temperature is ideal. Remember, the difference between 7 am and 12 pm can be measured in degrees — the longer you wait, the hotter it will get.
- Wear the right clothes: The key here is to wear lightweight breathable fabric such as cotton or linen. These materials absorb sweat and allow for faster evaporation to help you feel cooler. If you happen to be an exercise buff, high-performance sweat-wicking clothing such as jogging shorts and sport tank tops are also a great choice.
- Don’t forget the water: Proper hydration is critical during a summer move. If you don’t stay hydrated, you increase your chances of heat exhaustion, lack of energy, or worse. Make sure to have a good supply of water and/or performance sports drinks on hand and take breaks when necessary to maintain proper fluid and energy levels.
- Watch your perishables: When packing your home, be aware that many items cannot survive in prolonged periods of heat. Pack these belongings separately and get them into an air-conditioned house as soon as possible.
- Pay attention to your body: Be aware of the warning signs of heat exhaustion and heatstroke. If you begin to experience headaches, muscle cramps, confusion, and dizziness, take a break, drink some water, and rest until the symptoms subside. If you still feel ill after taking a break, see a doctor immediately.
Have a suggestion you’d like to share? Drop us a line in the form below.
Share a Tip with Us
Verity Van Lines is one of Long Island’s oldest and most trusted moving company. For over 100 years, we’ve been providing world class customer care for both local and long distance moves. Call us today at: 516-785-7620. We look forward to serving you. We are proudly rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.