Moving your home officeIf you are self-employed, moving your home office, preventing business interruptions and making the move go smoothly are paramount to making a seamless transition from one location to another. Below are five tips that we think will help.
- Start packing as soon as possible: Start by de-cluttering your home office by purging all unnecessary paperwork, old electronic devices and other equipment you may not need. This is the perfect time for you to arrive at your new location and have a fresh, more organized start. Make sure to secure sensitive documents and other important items well before moving day.
- Create a work/move schedule: As soon as you know when you are going to move, create a schedule that takes into account everything you’ll have to do for both work and moving. Do your best to keep as organized as possible, and block out plenty of time to get your work completed. Prioritize work so that tasks that can be accomplished easily on mobile devices are done closer to moving day, or even during your move.
- Set up your utilities: Once you know your move in date, contact your new utilities for both your current and future homes and make sure you have everything you need to ensure an easy “turn on”, so you can be up and running smoothly.
- Speak to your clients: It is essential that your clients know your schedule and how they can reach you if a problem should arise. Make sure they know your new address and office phone number as soon as you receive them.
- Plan for heavy containers: Many of the items in your home office — from furnishings to books — can weigh down your moving boxes and make them difficult to carry. If you have several boxes of documents, books, electronics, or other heavy items, make sure to plan ahead.
Verity Van Lines is the premier Long Island moving company with over 100 years of experience in both local and long distance moves. We also offer a full range of storage options and packing supplies.