Things people forget when moving
There are many things people forget when moving. In the hustle and bustle of it all, keeping track of every single item and task is truly a challenge — even for the most organized people. Below, we’ve compiled a list of things people forget when moving in order to make sure this doesn’t happen to you:
- Safe Deposit Box: Many homeowners forget to clear out and close the safe deposit box at their local bank. If you’re moving across the country, this can be a terrible inconvenience.
- Dry Cleaning: Check with your dry cleaner and make sure that none of your delicate clothing is sitting in their store waiting for pickup. The last thing you need is to have to call them to ship your clothes to you.
- Hidden Valuables: Many homeowners have secret hiding spots for jewelry and other valuables. Make sure to check all your hiding spots carefully before moving.
- Memberships: Canceling memberships to local gyms, country clubs, etc. often rank low on a homeowner’s to-do list. Make sure you cancel all local memberships before moving.
- Borrowed items: Make sure that lawnmower, rake or other piece of property you loaned to your neighbor is retrieved before you move.
Remember to be considerate to the family that is moving into your home. Don’t forget to give them your spare keys, garage door opener and other items of importance. It may also help to leave them a contact list of people who help maintain your home such as your electrician, plumber, landscaper and HVAC contractor.
For more information on preparing and organizing your move, check out our five part moving checklist series here: Part 1
, Part 2
, Part 3
, Part 4
and Part 5.
If you have any questions, or would like to share some other things people forget when moving, please don’t hesitate to contact us by filling out the form below.