Why is moving so stressful?
Why is moving stressful? According to healthstatus.com, a popular interactive health website, moving is in one of the top five most stressful situations you can encounter in life. Even if moving is an exciting new chapter in your life, it can still be fraught with uncertainty, emotional ups and downs and other stressors. Below are five tips to help cope with the question “why is moving so stressful?”:
- Hire a professional mover: Hire a dependable mover who has a reputation for honesty and integrity. Take your time and do your research. Read reviews, make phone calls and interview prospective moving companies.
- Plan: We all like to avoid making hard decisions and stressful situations (especially moving!), but doing this when it comes to moving is a recipe for disaster. Plan your move out as much as possible, not only will it go smoother, but you’ll also feel a strong sense of control, which is incredibly important during stressful times.
- Have a positive mental attitude: It doesn’t matter if your move is because of good reasons or bad, you are going to have new experiences, meet new people and be in a new area that is just waiting to be discovered. Look at the positive aspects of your move and keep the negative aspects out of your mind.
- Research your new location thoroughly: Get familiar with the schools, the malls and other places that will be important to your and your family once you arrive. Knowing where to go and what to do will help make your transition much more comfortable.
- Lean on friends and family: There’s no doubt that at times during your moving experience you may feel sad, a bit depressed and even isolated. Reach out to your friends and family and share your feelings with them. Having a shoulder to lean on will have a positive impact on your emotional state and do wonders to help you cope with your move.
If you’re considering a move, please keep these thoughts in mind. Approaching your move fully-prepared and with a positive, can-do attitude will go a long way in helping you get through your transition instead of shaking your head in frustration and asking “why is moving stressful?”
Bonus: Top five reasons why moving is so stressful:
- Packing and unpacking
- Searching for a new home
- Cleaning out pantry and closets
- Shopping for new furniture and goods