Packing Self-Storage Units
Rented self storage units can offer many benefits during the moving process. They allow you to get extra storage space to help you during your transition — all at a reasonable price. In order to maximize your unit, you must be efficient and smart when it comes to packing self storage units. Below are some tips to help you:
Always use the right type of boxes
- Using the right box for your needs is critical to a successful packing job. Always use the best quality boxes possible and use boxes that are sized correctly.
- Make sure all the boxes you plan to use are dry, strong and sturdy. If you plan on using pre-owned boxes, extra care must be taken to inspect boxes for damage and weakness.
- Check all boxes for insects — this is especially important for used boxes. If you ever have any doubts about a box, do not use it. NEVER use boxes from a grocery store or other food establishment.
- Use boxes that have the same dimensions so that you can stack them one on top of the other in order to maximize the vertical storage space that you are paying for anyway.
- Fill boxes to capacity. Half filled boxes are prone to collapse. Never overfill your boxes either, because you can risk a box bursting.
Make a master list
Make a detailed master lit of all the contents that will be in your storage unit. This will allow you to have an easily accessible reference for all the items in your unit. When making your list and packing, always make sure to label contents clearly.
If you’re truly organized make a map of your storage area so you know exactly where to go when you need something.
Pack furniture first
In order to maximize your storage unit’s space, place furniture and other large pieces into the back of the unit, positioned firmly against the back wall. For maximum protection, make sure that these items are packed and wrapped properly.
Talk to your mover
When you are moving, there are many things you have to keep track of, so you may not have the time to pack your self storage unit. Many reputable movers can pack self storage units for you. In addition, a good mover will have the knowledge, skill and materials to do a very professional job, which will leave you free to tackle other tasks — and having additional free time during your move will go a long way to making everything go much smoother.