Tips for Moving in Winter
With freezing temperatures, rain, snow and other elements, winter adds a handful of unique challenges to your moving plan. Make sure you do these five essential things to ensure the season doesn’t get the best of you and you can complete your move safely and successfully.
- Clear a pathway to your front door. Shovel all the snow, ice and sludge out of the way so you have a safe, non-slip path from their truck to your home. Salting the pathway may be a good idea as well. Make sure you cover your floors so no one slips and no damage occurs. If you have some old carpet runners that you’re planning to throw out, consider laying them outside on the pathway to your house to create a nonslip footing.
- Turn off your heat. It may seem counter-intuitive, but you’ll want to turn your heat off since you’ll be coming in and out all day. Otherwise, your heat will be in overdrive and you’ll notice that on your last bill.
- Don’t forget about self-care. Layer up! It may be freezing outside but going in and out and around your house will warm you up! If you wear layers you’ll be able to adjust accordingly.
- Make sure all of your belongings are properly packed in durable moving boxes with strong tape. You definitely don’t want anything spilling out into the cold and wet environment. If you’re moving artwork ensure it’s wrapped in plastic so it is not damaged by rain. Further… make sure you have plenty of moving supplies
- Check-in on your new residence to make sure there are no leaks and that your utilities are turned on. The last thing you want is to arrive at your new home and see a huge puddle in your bedroom due to a leak in your roof or because of an open window. And test your heat! You’ll want to make sure you have a nice warm place to sleep after moving all day.
For more great winter moving tips visit here.
We're Your Winter Moving Specialists!
Verity Van Lines offers direct moving service to Florida, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Arizona and all points local and nationwide. To get started on the road to a great moving experience, call us today at 516-785-7620.